Notice of your rights in the event of denied boarding, flight delay or flight cancellation
This notice contains important information about your rights under Israel’s Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellations and Changes in Conditions), 5772-2012 (the "ASL"). The rights referred to in this document apply in the following circumstances:
- You have a confirmed reservation on a flight operated by the Airline purchased at a fare available directly or indirectly to the general public; and
- (except in the case where your flight has been cancelled) you have presented yourself for check-in before the Check-In Deadline as specified by us in our General Terms & Conditions of Travel or related regulations; and
- You are traveling on a flight departing from an airport in Israel or a flight arriving at an airport in Israel (unless it is evident that you received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in such other country and that those benefits, compensation and assistance directly correspond to your entitlement under ASL); and
- You have not been denied boarding by reason of a matter set out in our General Terms & Conditions of Travel or related regulations; and
- You have been denied boarding involuntarily or your flight is delayed by more than two hours beyond its scheduled departure time or cancelled.
In the unlikely event that a seat is not available for a passenger with a confirmed reservation, we will seek volunteers to surrender their seats in exchange for benefits that we and the volunteer may agree upon before involuntarily denying boarding to other passengers. If there are insufficient volunteers and we deny you boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to the relevant rights set out in this chapter (same as in the event of flight cancelation), unless your boarding has been denied in circumstances where there are reasonable grounds to deny boarding such as reasons of health, safety, security or inadequate travel documentation.
Flight delay between 2 and 8 hours
If we reasonably expect your flight to be delayed for two hours or more, but less than 8 hours, beyond its scheduled time of departure, you are entitled to the relevant rights set out in paragraph 3 of this document.
Flight cancellation and delays more than 8 hours
If your flight is cancelled or delays by more than 8 hours, you are entitled to the rights set out below (see following sections 1.; 2.; and 3.). As regards your right to compensation, please note that the Airline is entitled to refuse compensation when (the "Exemptions"):
- You are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or
- You are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing you to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and reach your final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or
- You are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing you to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and The aforementioned provisions do not apply if you refuse to fly on the alternative flight because the alternative flight was not offered to your travel companion(s) or for reasons of security, religion or medical limitations.
- The cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances which were not under the Airline's control even if the Airline had done whatever was under its control; the flight was cancelled due to strike or a protected work-by-rule strike; the flight has been cancelled in order to prevent the desecration of the Sabbath or a Jewish holiday.
1. Right to compensation
If you are involuntarily denied boarding or your flight is cancelled or delayed by eight or more hours with respect to the scheduled departure time, you are entitled to receive, subject to the Exemptions provided hereinabove, the following amount from us:
A. NIS 1,390, in respect of all flights of 2,000 km or less; or
B. NIS 2,220 in respect of all flights between 2,000 km and 4,500 km; or
C. NIS 3,340 in respect of all flights over 4,500 km
The foregoing compensation will be reduced by 50% provided that the delay in the landing time at the final destination compared with the original landing time does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked by 4 hours (flights falling under A), 5 hours (flights falling under B) or 6 hours (flights falling under C). Compensation, if due, will be made within 45 days of receipt of a written request by post to Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited, Customer Services Dept., The VHQ, Fleming Way, West Sussex, RH10 9DF, England or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Compensation will be made by bank transfer or check, or by other means as agreed to in writing by the passenger.
2. Right to reimbursement or re-routing
If you were denied boarding or your flight is cancelled or delayed at least 8 hours, you may choose between:
a) Reimbursement in the amount paid for the flight ticket, including fees, levies, taxes and other obligatory payments within 21 days of receipt of written application Replacement flight ticket to your final destination; or
b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to your final destination at the earliest opportunity; or
c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to your final destination at a later date at your convenience, subject to availability of seats.
If your flight is delayed by at least five hours and you elect not to travel, you are entitled to receive reimbursement as set out in point (a) above, together with, when relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity.
3. Right to care
The assistance as described in this section is provided in the event that a flight time of departure is delayed by at least two hours from the scheduled departure.
If the Airline expects a flight to be delayed by at least 2 hours you will be offered free of charge:
a) meals and refreshment vouchers in reasonable relation to the waiting time, as long as it will not further delay the departure of the aircraft
b) two telephone calls, telex or fax messages or e-mails;
If the Airline expects a flight to be delayed by 5 hours and less than 8 hours, you will also be offered free of charge, if applicable:
c) hotel accommodation in cases where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or where a stay additional to that intended by you becomes necessary;
d) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
e) If you do not wish to continue with your initial travel plans when there is a delay of at least 5 hours, you may choose reimbursement or rerouting. However, if the flight's delay is due to a protected strike, you will only be entitled to reimbursement; and a) and b) above. Where it is not feasible for the Airline to arrange the care set out above, it will reimburse you for your reasonable receipted expenses upon application to the Airline Customer Services Dept.
Reimbursement in the amount paid for the Flight Ticket, including fees, levies, taxes and other obligatory payments within 21 days of receipt of written application.
4. Changes to the terms
If you are placed in a higher class of service than that stipulated on the Flight Ticket, you will not be subject to any extra charges nor are you entitled to any monetary compensation. If you are involuntarily placed in a lower class of service than that stipulated on the Flight Ticket, you will receive reimbursement of 100% of the price of the ticket for all flight segments longer than 4500 km. For flight segments less than 4500 km, the Airline will pay an amount equal to the flight fare paid, multiplied by the ratio between the affected flight distance and the total flight distance.
This Notice is required by Israel’s Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellations and Changes in Conditions), 5772-2012; Any legal claim or action taken in the event of a dispute should be based solely on the legal text of the Law.
Notice according to the Aviation Service Law
Passengers which purchased flight tickets for flights to/from Israel that were cancelled are entitled to receive refund within 30 days from the date on the flight ticket.
We note that if your booking was made via a travel agency, the agency will process your refund and you should contact the agency directly for further questions.
If you booked your flight directly with us and for some reason your refund wasn’t received yet, this may be because we do not have the necessary contact details or payment details. Please contact us in order to complete the process via https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/contact-us.html.