The following terms are applicable to: Economy Light, Economy Classic, Economy Delight, Premium and Upper Class
1. Advanced seat assignment (“ASA”) is available only on “Qualifying Flights” (as defined below). Subject to product purchased, seating options available are: standard and preferred.
Standard seats are free of charge for Classic, Delight, Premium and Upper Class passengers at any time. Standard seats are free of charge for Light passengers only within check in window.
Preferred seats are 1) seats near the front of the cabin 2) exit row seats. Preferred seats are available for Light and Classic passengers to purchase at an additional fee from booking up to one hour before departure.
2. A “Qualifying Flight” is a one-way flight flown on services operated by Virgin Atlantic (but not on flights operated by codeshare partners).
3. ASA is available on a per sector basis only. Price is per seat, per sector where a fee is payable.
4. Exit row seats are allocated under Civil Aviation Authority rules, as well as our Conditions of Carriage. Passengers must be fit and able bodied, be at least 16 years old on the day of travel and cannot be travelling with infants. In an emergency situation passengers in these seats must be able to open the exit doors unaided.
5. ASA may not be available on all Virgin Atlantic flights and may be restricted by the airline at its sole discretion.
6. Not all seats on the aircraft will be available for ASA.
7. The airline does not accept any liability for damages arising from its inability to deliver pre-assigned seats for whatever reason. In the event payment has been made for ASA, our liability in relation to the non-delivery of the selected pre-assigned seats will not exceed the individual amount paid by the passenger for ASA including any taxes paid.
8. In the event that we have to change your selected seat we will endeavour to seat you in a comparable alternative. A “Comparable Alternative” is defined as 1) seating you together with those travelling with you in the same booking, 2) in your choice of preferred or standard seat and then 3) in your choice of window seat, middle seat or aisle seat. Seating together means adjacent, this could be across the aisle or behind each other. Specific or similar seat numbers are not always considered a comparable alternative.
Exit row seats and seats near the front of the cabin are not interchangeable and therefore not deemed to be a Comparable Alternative.
9. We are unable to link separate bookings, so if you have selected to sit next to other passengers in a different booking and we have unseated you, we cannot guarantee to be able to seat you back together.
10. Pre- assigned seats are not transferable to any other passengers.
11. Passengers changing travel dates may transfer ASA to the new travel date subject to availability with no additional change fee beyond any applicable fees corresponding to the passenger’s ticket and fare rules.
12. Any changes to ASA can only be made on-line via My Booking or during on-line check in as described above.
13. Passengers who do not pre select their seat(s) via on-line check in will be allocated one
14. All passengers are carried by Virgin Atlantic in accordance with its Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage and its Conditions of Contract (as may be amended from time to time).
15. In the event there is a conflict between these terms and conditions and the Conditions of Carriage, the Conditions of Carriage will prevail.
16. Virgin Atlantic reserves the right to amend any or all of these terms and conditions, without notice and at any time.
17. These terms and conditions are governed by English law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
18. Classic passengers who do not wish to purchase ASA can choose a standard seat free of charge at any time. Light passengers who do not wish to purchase ASA can choose a standard seat free of charge during the check-in window, subject to availability.
19. Purchase of ASA can be made via (i) the Virgin Atlantic contact centre at time of booking, (ii) via www.virginatlantic.com and or (iii) at the Airport and is available up to 1 hour before departure.
20. The purchase of ASA is not confirmed until an e-mail detailing payment and authorisation has been issued by Virgin Atlantic. This may take up to 48 hours after the purchase is made on line.
21. The ASA fee is non-refundable. The only exceptions are:
a) When as a result of operational, safety, security or other circumstances we are unable to deliver the pre-assigned seat(s) or need to change seat assignments and we are unable to offer a Comparable Alternative (as detailed in section 8 above) a full refund will be given.
b) When a flight is cancelled by Virgin Atlantic and passengers are re-protected on alternative Virgin Atlantic flights where Comparable Alternative seats cannot be offered and/or ASA is unavailable.
c) When a flight is cancelled by Virgin Atlantic and passengers are re-protected on alternative flights on other airlines
d) Passengers who are denied boarding due to flight over sales may be offered ASA on their alternative travel date if the new flight is operated by Virgin Atlantic and there is availability. If there is no availability on the alternative Virgin Atlantic flight or passengers are re-protected on another airline, a full refund including any taxes paid will be given.
e) If a passenger is unable to sit in the specific seat they have selected because of an injury (e.g. they have broken a leg, a full refund including any taxes paid will be given).
22. If you are refused carriage in accordance with our Conditions of Carriage, entitlement to a refund will be at our absolute discretion.
23. Passengers purchasing ASA may select alternative seats at the airport or when on-line check-in opens 24 hours before the flight departs. Note: If you select a seat of a lower value than your original purchase (for example if you originally selected an exit row and you reselect a standard seat at online check in) refund of the original ASA fee cannot be applied for and will not be issued.
Where a passenger has purchased ASA then changes their mind and wishes to purchase a higher priced ASA, the initial ASA fee paid is non-refundable.
Additionally, where a passenger decides to upgrade to a higher cabin and has already purchased ASA in their original class of cabin, a refund of the seat assignment fee for the original class of cabin can be applied for by completing a form which is accessible here.
24. All eligible refunds will be processed by the Virgin Atlantic’s central accounts department in the UK and credited back to the original form of payment.
25. Purchase of ASA does not entitle passengers to earn additional Flying Club Miles or tier points, to have increased baggage allowance or other ground or on-board facilities or services. Flying Club Miles cannot be earned or redeemed against ASA.
Revision: Effective 15th March 2021